After the 25th April Earthquake in Nepal, 360+ members came together to get involved in relief efforts. Independently 360+ member Srijana Angdembey was working with her organisation Sahayeta.org to raise funds and deploy it through their networks in Nepal. 360+ agreed to partner with Sahayeta and has raised $9,500 to date as part of an integrated fund.
At the same time Sahayeta needed assistance to do an on-ground needs assessment which was being conducted by one if their personnel. Therefore on 10th May, Mohit Raj from 360+ joined Nisha Thapa from Sahayeta.org in Kathmandu, Nepal for 3 weeks of need assessment, immediate relief work, and partnership building with local NGOs.
Some of the highlights of work where 360+ assisted Sahayeta.org in Nepal include
- Distribution drive of clothes, medicines and food to 40 breastfeeding mothers in Changu Village, Bhaktapur District.
- Supported 34 bundles of corrugated Zinc roof sheets and 34 bags of 25 kg rice in Sindupalchok, Badase which will serve to build a semi-permanent shelter for 34 families; the community already started building their houses with it and will serve food for a month distribution of Zinc Currogated roof sheets in Badase, Sindhupal Chowk.
- Supported 11 bundles of corrugated Zinc roof sheets for 11 houses in Bimjel, Phulping Dadha- vdc, Ward #8 which will serve to build a semi-permanent shelter for 11 families, the community already started building their houses with it.
- Supported corrugated Zinc roof sheets for 120 homes in Mulpani – 3, Aale Gaun, Dhading; partnered with SEBS and local groups.
- Took supplies to Aaru Arbang Village in Gorkha District. We took a helicopter for supplies, as there is no road connectivity to the village because of recent landslides. Supplies include 8 sacks of Rice, 50 Tents, 30 Blankets and other food items for 30 families. Partnered with SEBS.
- Partnered with Daya Foundation, an Art of Living Practitioner group working on post-trauma mental health, made a video with them doing few breathing techniques for stress and trauma reduction. Partnering with them for further post-trauma mental health work.
- Successfully collaborated with local NGOs like Youth Thinker’s society, SEBS and Rotaract Club of Phulbari, etc.
- We also have 13 community water purifiers and 100 tents which will be used in 2nd phase of our work in Nepal.
- On completion of 3 weeks of relief efforts in Nepal the team reviewed data for future planning and decided to conclude the 1st phase of work; the team has also taken a decision to begin the 2nd phase of work (after monsoons) on long-term rehabilitation and livelihood generation at 2 villages in Sindhupal Chowk.